I just found our that all contact between Ethiopian families and adoptive families has been suspended. This includes meetings with the birth family while adoptive families are in Ethiopia picking up their children and also contact between the families after the adoption.
Apparently concerns have been expressed by the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa citing a 1989 amendment to the Immigration and Nationality Act "regarding orphan status, irrevocable relinquishment, and termination of family rights."
I am still trying to figure out what this means...Ben and I loved the idea of meeting and staying in touch with extended family in Ethiopia. So much is written now about open adoption and how important it is for the children to know as much as possible about their history. The children are already losing so much, I loved the idea of them having some kind of link to family (and possibly they still will).
So I feel this as a loss, yet I can't help but think the Embassy is just trying to do right by the kids...Praying God's grace on Ethiopia and that adoption agencies will be held accountable to ethical standards and then have nothing to fear (Romans 13:3)
No comments:
Post a Comment